While we love sunny summer days, the leaves of autumn will soon be upon us! There’s a good reason why we call the season “Fall” here in the United States (most other countries call it “autumn”)—all of those beautiful leaves on shade-providing trees in your yard are going to fall in the next few months. That can be a problem if your existing gutters aren’t up to the challenge.
At Freeland Painting, we know that clogged gutters are a homeowner’s nightmare. Here are 6 reasons why you don’t want clogged gutters on your home:
- Rainwater needs guidance. When your gutters get clogged (with Fall leaves, for example), they can’t perform their intended function: To guide rainwater away from your home’s foundation and therefore protect your home’s structural integrity.
- Foundation problems. When gutters are full of leaves, sticks, and acorns, they can’t guide rainwater safely to the downspout and away from your home’s foundation—where you want it to go. Over time, pooling water around your home’s foundation causes erosion and settling. The resulting cracks in your home’s foundation can cause structural problems.
- Gutter waterfalls damage landscape shrubs. When gutters are clogged, rainwater has nowhere to go. It often cascades over the edge of the gutter and falls to the ground forcefully, causing the soil or mulch around your home to erode. This harms your landscape plants or shrubs planted where the “gutter waterfall” lands because soil erosion exposes their roots.
- Interior damage to ceilings and sheetrock. It’s not just the outside of your home that can suffer damage due to clogged gutters. Standing water in your gutters can decay the wooden fascia boards on your home, and then water can seep inside and ruin your walls and ceiling. If your home doesn’t already have fiber cement siding and fascia, Freeland Painting can help with that, too!
- Mosquito breeding ground. Standing water in your gutters after a rainfall is the ideal breeding ground for mosquitos and other pests. In addition to being annoying, mosquitos carry diseases that could easily spread to you and your family. Eliminating standing water—in gutters and everywhere else on your property—is the key to eliminating mosquito breeding grounds.
- Clogged gutters need unclogging. This will involve someone—most likely you, your spouse, or your partner—climbing up on a ladder and trying to balance safely (yikes!) while fishing out the decaying leaves, acorns, and other debris from the gutters by hand. It’s a dirty and dangerous job, but somebody’s got to do it. Unless, that is, you prevent the problem of clogged gutters from happening in the first place.
Guard Your Gutters
As Benjamin Franklin wisely said, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” For our purposes, he means that by installing gutter guard protection, you will prevent the problem of clogged gutters from ever occurring, so you essentially solve the problem before it even happens.
So what’s the solution? Freeland Painting offers high-quality, seamless custom gutter guards that are guaranteed to prevent leaves and other debris from getting stuck in your gutters and clogging them up.
That’s right: Gutter guards give your gutters their own specialized cover that lets rainwater run over them into your gutters using water’s property of surface tension while keeping leaves and other debris out.
Let Surface Tension Work For You
What is surface tension? It’s the property of water that makes water droplets “stick together” and adhere to the surface that water is already on.
Here’s how surface tension makes gutter guards so effective: As water runs down your roof and over the gutter guards, water clings to the gutter guard’s curved surface—even defying gravity for a split second as it adheres to the gutter guard’s curve before falling into the gutter beneath the guard.
Once in the gutter, rainwater is guided safely out through downspouts and away from your home’s foundation. However, leaves and other debris on your roof don’t have surface tension, so they can’t get past the gutter guard. It’s a simple, effective solution that can save you hours of hassle this Fall and every Fall for years to come.
We Install Gutter Guards Over Existing or New Gutters
If you don’t need new gutters but want custom, seamless gutter guard protection, Freeland Painting can install gutter guards over your existing gutters.
If you’ve been thinking about installing new gutters, Freeland Painting highly recommends both our seamless custom gutters and Gutter Guard protection system. It’s guaranteed to keep leaves and debris out of your gutters, so they function correctly and protect your home, inside and out.
Call Freeland Painting for a Free Estimate
We even offer free estimates—call us today to schedule at 678.679.3126. When you get Gutter Guard covers professionally installed by Freeland Painting, you’ll be the happiest homeowner on your block because you can spend more time doing the things you love rather than cleaning out your clogged gutters!